[Arm-netbook] ARM port(s) BoF at DebConf

Paul Kench paulkench at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 12:44:13 BST 2012

> - DDR1

> v2"

> >>   wouldn't surprise me if it was a mistake on the readynas web
> site...
> >>

> > It takes DDR3 RAM, but it's soldered on board. A google image search
> > gave me this link:
> >
> http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/netgear_readynas_duo_v2,3
> > .html
> >
> > Here is internals of ReadyNAS Duo (not v2):
> > http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/networking/display/netgear-readynas-
> > uo_4.html
> >
> > A forum post says that only ReadyNAS Duo has SO-DIMM socket, v2
> doesn't have it.
> >
> > Such a pity, with USB3, SATA and Gigabit Ethernet, it's a very good
> > product for this price. But memory is not upgradeable.
>
> The only thing the v1 doesn't have is USB3, IIRC. Gigabit ethernet and
> SATA are still there. Bit v1 might be harder to find now days.
>
> Gordan

The ReadyNAS duo v1 is an Infrant (Sparc) chip? Has anyone found any
pictures of this board?

It's difficult to tell as the community on readynas.com seem against things
like serial console, 3rd party OS's, hardware hacking etc. (Although there
appear to be sparc, arm, and x86 variants, often with the same product
name).

Real shame the Marvell variant doesn't have upgradeable memory, (if it
doesn't), having said that, for a home server 256MB is pretty adequate,
having USB 3 and eSATA is a bonus, and the price in the UK is reasonable.
I've been really happy with my Netgear Stora, (once I installed Debian), so
I would have a level of confidence in the hardware, even at the price point.

The shots on legionhardware don't show what goes in the second daughterboard
slot (assume the internal disk back-plane), and the serial port isn't clear.

Paul