[Arm-netbook] Netgear ReadyNAS

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Jul 23 15:50:28 BST 2012

On 07/23/2012 03:43 PM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 15:27:09 +0100
> Gordan Bobic<gordan at bobich.net>  wrote:
>
>> It suddenly occurs to me that the Netgear ReadyNAS actually has a lot
>> going for it as far as small ARM server features go:
>>
>> 1) RAM on a DDR SO-DIMM (IIRC the SoC used can handle up to 3GB of RAM,
>> but that's a bit academic since DDR SO-DIMM modules only seem to be
>> available up to 1GB).
>>
>> 2) 1.6GHz Marvell ARM, fully supported in mainline Linux kernel
>>
>> 3) 2 SATA ports with built in drive bays
>>
>> 4) Neat, tidy package
>>
>> 5) Cheaper than a SheevaPlug (yes, this is the real WTF)
>
> Which exact model do you mean?

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=readynas&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17742008343051604815&sa=X&ei=AWQNUNzCOsOy0QXi29y2Cg&ved=0CF4Q8wIwAA#scoring=tps

Under £90 delivered.

> (and where do I buy one with worldwide sanely-priced shipping? :)

That I don't know...

> Checked eBay and these ReadyNASes start from about $200, not exactly cheaper
> than a SheevaPlug either.

Well, here in UK I can get a ReadyNAS for less than £90 (see link
above). SheevaPlug from NewIT is more than that.

> i.e. not seeing the appeal over a Mele.

More RAM, tidier (disk bays!), 2x SATA, no kernel hacking required
because Marvell support is in mainline and well maintained, etc. Lots of
advantages, IMO. It may not be cheaper but you get a lot more for your
money.

Gordan