[Arm-netbook] tablet pricing

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 11:46:47 BST 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM, cnxsoft <cnxsoft at cnx-software.com> wrote:
> On 13/07/2012 16:55, lkcl luke wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Guo, Yifu<yifu.guo at bitsyn.com>  wrote:
>>> GPS licencing is expensive.
>>>
>>> Also I'm going with AMlogic with my project as they do provide source,
>>   no, they don't.  they force companies to sign a GPL-violating NDA,
>> and do *not* provide full source code.
>>
> They may drag their feet for new processors, but for older ones, they
> seem pretty open: http://openlinux.amlogic.com/wiki/index.php/Arm

 for the reference designs? sure it is - but that reference design
code is absolutely of zero use to you if it doesn't match the
hardware, is it?

 their GPL-violating policies cost us hard cash, and cost us a client.
 an ODM which *they recommended* refused to provide the modifications
that the ODM themselves had made, because they had signed the
GPL-violating NDA.  we had already approached a client who wanted to
use the ODM's devices with their own custom OS, but without the full
GPL source code this was clearly impossible, and "our" failure to
deliver cost *us* the client.

 also: you've heard of the "Spark Plasma" Tablet?  it's actually a
rebadged Zenithink tablet.  one of Zenithink's Engineers *deliberately
violated* the AMLogic NDA that his company, Zenithink, had signed, by
providing the spark plasma team with the GPL Source Code, calling into
question the legality of the project.

 you *can't* mess around with this stuff.