[Arm-netbook] Slowly but surely...

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 22:17:30 BST 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> On 07/09/2012 08:25 PM, lkcl luke wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Gordan Bobic<gordan at bobich.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> And there we have a textbook example of why being a freetard is
>>> completely uneconomical. You would have easily made back more than $10K
>>> over the past year selling the modules.
>>
>>   ... but the people who would be so paid would feel resentment at
>> having been left out, having been paid a tiny fraction of what the
>> project utlimately could make.
>
> I don't really agree.

 hey, you're entitled to.

> I'm happy to work for my normal day rate. In fact,
> other than on my own projects, I never would have even considered taking
> shares in lieu of of day rate.

 well... it's a long story, but i'm trying something completely different.

> My view is that if somebody believes in what they are doing, they should
> believe in it enough to raise the relevant funding and pay the people
> who are going to make it happen, rather than take the "weasely" way out
> of offering them shares which, in cases of most startups, turn out to be
> worthless a few months down the line. Given the ratio of startups that
> don't fold, statisticall the smart money is on getting paid a day rate
> rather than partaking in the risk.

 well then something with a different approach might be nice, eh? :)
btw, seriously: read "millionaire mind".  apart from anything it's a
very funny book, in a self-effacing kind of way.  or paul mckenna's
book, i forget its title right now.  both of those invite the reader
to think of money in a different way, and to disassociate negative and
disempowering thoughts from money.

also, paul mckenna's book points out, directly (whereas m.m. only does
so indirectly) that there are many kinds of wealth.  p.m advocates
wealth of the mind to be more important than money, giving several
examples of extremely financially well-off people who actually
consider themselves to be poor.  for these people, many of them
billionaires, they accumulate enormous sums of money, out of a massive
over-compensation for their feelings of financial inadequacy, but the
money doesn't help, so rather than stop, they continously go "hmm that
amount didn't solve my feelings of financial inadequacy and poverty,
let's try getting some more".  amazing.

but the reason i mention all this is because i was concerned that
you'd mentioned a negative word ("weasely") in the same sentence as
money ("shares").  in the view of both m.m and p.m that's a means to
*avoid* becoming wealthy!  how can you ever become wealthy if your
thoughts and words describe wealth in a derogatory manner? stop it! :)

> Apologies. You're right. I was out of line.

 hey it's ok.

> I think my frustration at
> the lack of perceived probability of this turning into an actual product
> any time soon got to me. Especially since 6 months ago we were talking
> about the EOMA alpha cards being available within weeks.

 i know!  then it went to shit, and i learned to stop forwarding the
promises that other people made, onto the list, and decided to post
only concrete results instead.  so, now we wait for concrete results.
which is frustrating, i know.

> I can hardly
> imagine how you must feel about it considering the amount of effort you
> have invested in it.

 it's been tough - but actually i don't mind so much, personally.  the
constant questions "when's it ready, when's it ready" have been
frustrating though: that's got to me a few times.  ok, a lot.

 but, the slower pace has allowed other parts of the project to catch
up, and also has galvanised other parties who previously said "no we
cannot get involved" to actually step up and act, just as we had
originally asked them to do [in their best interests!]

 /peace.