[Arm-netbook] Slowly but surely...

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Jul 9 22:08:31 BST 2012

On 07/09/2012 09:48 PM, freebirds at fastmail.fm wrote:

>>> Just about any USB device will work fine on a SheevaPlug, as long as the
>> drivers are in the kernel. And since they are selling Mimo USB monitors
>> specifically for *Plugs you can bet the Linux drivers are available.
>> Surely you didn't need to ask something that obvious.
>
> Gordon Bobic, you are probably proof reading quickly instead of
> thoroughly reading my posts. I wrote that NewIt sells a sheevaPlug and
> DreamPlug preconfigured with a Mimo touchscreen driver. I wrote I do not
> need a touchscreen. I need an LCD monitor. I am not going to assume that
> a Mimo touchscreen driver is going to work on any USB LCD monitor.
> Today, NewIt replied that they tested USB keyboards and mouses and they
> work. I replied how about USB monitors.

OK, fair. You will need specifically a monitor with Linux drivers. It
hadn't occured to me you might have wanted to plug in something other
than a Mimo.

> A member posted that using 2 -3 USB devices with a powered hub causes
> their DreamPlug to reboot or continuously reboot. See
> http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3246.0.html. I am concerned
> using four USB devices may cause the same problem. The four USB devices
> would be keyboard, mouse, monitor and network adapter.

The monitor would be powered by itself - no way will that be USB
powered. If you are lucky the monitor will also have a USB hub built
into it, so with a bit of luck it won't be an issue.

>> You really should leave paranoia over such tings to the geeks, too. At
>> least they will know what is worthy of paranoia and what isn't. It
>> really isn't helping you. Do you really think that the WiFi and BT will
>> work at all without the firmware being uploaded into them by the kernel
>> driver?
>
> I am not paranoid. I previously posted that I never ever use bluetooth.

So switch if off. You don't have to unsolder the antennas.

> The driver of the network adapter is uploaded when I use a live CD of
> Fedora, Tails, Lightweight Portable Security, etc.

You can use rfkill to disable the wireless comms and unload the driver
manually if it offends you that badly.

> Unfortunately, I
> won't be able to use live DVDs with my Lemote Yeeloong netbook and
> DreamPlug. I will make system recovery SDcards in the event that I need
> to reinstall my customized OS.

Indeed.

Gordan