[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 passthrough implementation

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 18:06:57 BST 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Ryan Mullen <rmmullen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone begun implementing the EOMA-68 passthrough card described here?
>
> http://elinux.org/Embedded_Open_Modular_Architecture/EOMA-68/Passthrough
>
> I think it would be useful to have this available if and when EOMA-68
> devices become available so that ordinary off the shelf peripheral
> hardware can be used right away.

 ... and... thinking about it... this would be superb, because it
would be possible to show demo units such as laptops etc. in a much
lower-cost way, by plugging the pass-through card into a standard
desktop PC with an HDMI output, directly into the card, as well as
using its USB keyboard+trackpad/mouse.

 why in god's name didn't i think of that months ago??  we could have
bloody well got the demo to the clients, and on the strength of that
got some funding from them.  i am thick sometimes :)

> It would also be pretty straightforward for me to implement this
> device. I could generate a schematic, PCB layout, bill of materials,
> and gerbers using free software design tools and make them available.

 that would be absolutely brilliant.  if you use kicad then i would
also potentially be able to help, as i'm sure would a few others.
also then you could use the libraries i've already done at
git.rhombus-tech.net.  if you like, email phil at hands.com directly and
ask him if you could be added to that repository ok, with an
explanation as to why you need access to the eoma.git repository.  to
be absolutely clear and unambiguous: the url is:

   url = git+ssh://git@git.rhombus-tech.net/eoma.git

 actually oh wait a second: pass-through.  that means sockets not
plugs.  so the library of parts i've accumulated and generated won't
help you too much, but it would still be nice to have the pass-through
card in the same git repository.

 would anybody like to help finding the required mid-mount HDMI and
USB-OTG sockets?  ryan, are you considering doing an audio IC of some
description on the pass-through card, or just leaving that for now?
(can always do a revision 2.0).

 btw there is some innnsaaane costly requirement for HDMI's HDCP - you
might like to consider instead just having a DVI-to-RGB/TTL converter,
like the TFP401a... oh, that's exactly the IC i put on the diagram
anyway ha ha :)

> Shall I look into proceeding,

 yes please, go for it!

 /peace