[Arm-netbook] ARM's OOB para-virtualization & FreeZone in A10?

freebirds at fastmail.fm freebirds at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 5 18:48:38 BST 2012

Gordan Bobic asked: "When you say you checked it, do you mean that you
manually scanned it and Clam couldn't open the files? If so, that is
likely a permissions issue. Or are you saying that it scanned OK but
didn't detect any problems?'

I manually scanned at various times. Clam could not open files that Clam
previously could open. Not a permissions issue. Clam also detected
macros in word files that previously did not have macros.

Gordan Bobic wrote: "No sane security-conscious person should be using
Windows these days, so my interest in a Windows bug-hunt is below 0." I
agree. In February 2012, I shipped two netbooks to a computer security
expert for forensics and to harden Linux. He didn't finish. In the
meantime, three times I purchased the Acer Aspire One 722 and returned
them within 14 days due to cracking of AMD's virtualization. In the
meantime, I using Windows computers.

Gordon Bobic, you made an excellent point that ARM reduces "the field in
terms of what malware might actually be effective."

Gordon Bobic asked: "Or maybe something else was going on. You do
understand that "Trash not showing up" is not exactly conclusive
evidence. Have you looked at it from the command line? I need GUIs. I
don't know command line. Trash not showing up occurred and not being
able to delete trash was a problem on all my netbooks.

Gordon Bobic wrote: So you are concerned about any hardware with built
in WiFi and BT? That rules
out just about any laptop and phone for a start." Built in wifi and
bluetooth are not the problem. Soldered wifi and bluetooth are the
problem. Combo wifi/bluetooth card have up to know been removable by
unscrewing a screw. I use an USB network adapter. When the crackers
procure the MAC address of my network adapter, I discard it and replace
it with a new one. I never ever use bluetooth. I already posted cites on
geolocating the MAC address of bluetooth and hacking into bluetooth even
when it is in hidden mode.

Gordon Bobic wrote: "There is every chance that something much simpler
and less convoluted was going on if you were being hacked."

Just the opposite. More is going on. Evidence of being cracked is
complete remote control of my netbooks. Netbooks not shutting down.
Going to sleep instead. I had to hold the shut off button to shut them
off. WOWL (wake on wireless lan). No longer being able to boot to live
DVDs. Files in my home directory that were remotely deleted. Files in my
home directory that were remotely infected. After I successfully eluded
and relocated and turned on my netbooks, the geolocation of my netbooks
were tracked.

You don't need to believe that I being cracked. Nor am I asking for SW
or OS help with the cracking. The reason I joined this mailing list was
to obtain help in choosing a safe open netbook or board. And if one does
not exist, to attempt to create one. I do not want to buy another i86
netbook: Bios rootkits, firmware rootkits, TPM, Intel AMT and
virtualization, AMD DASH and virtualization, HPA hidden partition in the
hard drive where malware can hide, etc.

I am trying to choose between the Sunlike Allwinner netbook, the older
Lemote Yeeloong 2A or the raspberry pi. Lemote emailed that the wifi is
removable. Yeeloong nor raspberry pi have bluetooth nor TrustZone nor
virtualization. Because the Yeeloong 2A was developed in 2008 it has
older technology than the raspberry pi. Ben NanoNote would qualify
except there is no Fedora, Debian or Ubuntu preinstalled in it or on a
SDcard.

I do fear TrustZone in Allwinner A10. I posted that Open Virtualization
created software to make TrustZone
safer.http://www.openvirtualization.org/open-source-arm-trustzone.html.
Why would there be need for Open Virtualization software? Does
installing Open Virtualization software for TrustZone make both
uncrackable?