[Arm-netbook] ARM's OOB para-virtualization & FreeZone in A10?

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:28:54 BST 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM,  <freebirds at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Thank you Luke for supporting me on this mailing list and FreedomBox
> Foundation's mailing list.

 no problem.  security is an area of interest of mine.

> To reciprocate, I would like to support you, Luke. Thanks for being bold
> to share that in 2006 government intelligence retaliated by over heating
> your hard drive.

 well what i believe happened was that *two* agencies fought over the
drive - one trying to get at it and the other stopping them.  i've not
heard from my friend since, which is a pity.

> Fedora's home directory. My files are on removable media. They infected
> my removable media with USB worms including a firmware rootkit in my
> Sansa Clip MP3 players. Inserting my removable media infects the
> computers.

 y'know what?  it's quite an education, isn't it.  they're basically
providing you - and the rest of the world by extension (anyone reading
this) - with information about the techniques that they're using.

> The only safe open netbook I have found is the Lemote Yeeloong netbook.
> A2 was developed in 2008. A3's development started in 2009 yet Lemote
> emailed that it is still not available for export to USA. The Lemote
> Yeeloong A3 may never be exported to the USA.

 yes.  if you look at the history behind the CPU, it's funded by the
Chinese Government.  they want a processor that they know is secure,
that is made in china-only fabs (which means they can only get 65nm
for now), that can be used for supercomputing and other tasks where
national security is important to them.

 so they may not ever release the quad-core or 16-core hardware CPUs,
ever, to the rest of the world.  and if not, good for them!  the USA
has stupid BXPA "munitions" rules applied to the OMAP44xx series
because the U.S. Govt uses it for military purposes, so why can't
anyone else, eh?

> Last year, MIPS started
> developing virtualization. Yeeloong does not have virtualization. There
> is practically no support for Yeeloong. AMD and Google are considering
> purchasing MIPS.

 right.  bear in mind that the Chinese Govt owns a 25% stake in MIPS,
and that the Chinese Govt's Supercomputer Strategy and State Security
depends in part on the MIPS technology and you begin to appreciate
that maayybeee that won't happen as easily as it first seems it would
:)