[Arm-netbook] ARM HDA Advice?

Alexander Ross abushcrafter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 23:14:55 BST 2012

On 4 July 2012 20:11, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.ru> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 19:58:47 +0100
> Alexander Ross <abushcrafter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I forgot to mention I don't have any HDMI screens. HDMI2VGA not cheap.
>
> Why do you need a screen on a server? Btw, most of those "Plug computers"
> don't have VGA or HDMI. Mele A1000/A2000 does have VGA, but:
>
> 1) server-style kernels for A10 disable the video device to free up memory;
>
> 2) the console output does not work anyway at this moment, so even if you had
> a screen connected, you wouldn't see anything until Xorg has started (and
> would you really want Xorg there?).

Someone recommend mk802. I also thought it would be easier to setup
and manage for this network newbie and I could see status updates
without another pc on but I am willing maybe to try without. It would
also make shutting it down when there is a power cut quicker, by a
min. Our UPS last around 5mins if I remember correctly. With the large
CRT monitor on :o. I know because I decided to leave it and see how
long it lasted :). Then I think hang on that was with my power hog
computers! How long could one of these nice low power things last
hmm.... and if I cut out the 12V to 240V converter.... and add the
rest of the battery's we have....

I have been looking at the features of the plug computers linked in
the amahi wiki. I also check the price of the mele, Wow £55. I
remember thinking it was £££. I didn't know it had SATA. I don't have
GB Ethernet. Mele is very tempting. Could do with more USB and/or SATA
though. Shame it's only got 500MB ram. Then there is the mk208 1GB ram
but 1 USB hmm... Keep the suggestions coming please!