[Arm-netbook] ARM HDA Advice?

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 16:18:40 BST 2012

> *1GB ram min. Tribler & JD seam to like there rum.
> *1.*GHZ probley best. Don't think MHz is up to it.
> *Lots of SATA :P. IE 6 hard drives.
> *A 100% free software only distribution that will be supported for a few
> years at least.

All small form-factors PCs (ARM and x86), that I know of, have only up
to 4x SATA, so no 6x SATA for you. 6x SATA requires big and expensive
full ATX PC motherboards. (4x SATA is found on cheap Intel H61 mobo,
and never seen it on ARM)

Workaround: use USB hard disks and USB hubs.

Speed:
Seagate, USB 2.0 HDD works at ~20 MB/s.
Seagate, USB 3.0 HDD works at ~100 MB/s. (like SATA HDD, I tested
under Debian Linux 6.0 w/ Intel Core i7)

NOTE: ARM devices, and most x86 PCs _do not_ support USB 3.0, so you
will get 20 MB/s. (At home I have only 1 PC with USB 3.0 out of 6 PCs)

or you could buy ARM Riko MK802 PC, with USB hub, and be happy with
lots of storage ^^ (6x 2TB HDDs)

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"