[Arm-netbook] Wifi and bluetooth removable?

Derek LaHousse dlahouss at mtu.edu
Tue Jul 3 03:16:50 BST 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 12:27 -0400, freebirds at hushmail.com wrote:
> Alexey Eromenko wrote: "AFAIK ....If not, you can disable it at the
> Linux kernel level, by disabling the
> WiFi driver (blacklist your wifi linux kernel module) at the
> boot-loader."
>
> Thank for your answer, but your answer is incomplete. Are the wifi
> card and bluetooth card removable from the ARM netbooks I listed?
>
> What do you mean by AFAIK? How to disable the wifi driver at the
> boot-loader? Does disabling the wifi driver and bluetooth driver from
> the boot-loader prevent them from being visible when the computer is
> booting up before the OS boots up and when the computer shuts down
> after the OS shuts down but before the computer is completely off? In
> i86 computes, disabling the wifi and bluetooth in the BIOS was not the
> solution. They turned on when the computer booted up, turned off when
> the OS started but turned on again when the computer was shutting
> down.
>
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM,   wrote:
> > I need to purchase an ARM netbook which does not have the wifi and
> bluetooth
> > soldered into the motherboard. I need to remove the wifi and
> bluetooth. I
> > have reviewed the Lemote Yeelong, Lemote Moonsong, Sunlike AllWinner
> A10
> > netbook, Genesi Ekiga netbook and Hercules netbook but have not
> found any
> > documentation whether the wifi and bluetooth are removable.

It sounds like you're talking about using this in a SCIF or other
Goverment-Mandated No-RF area.  You should provide more details about
your constraints, because "select netbook without wireless" returned
zero results.

AFAIK: this stands for "As far as I know". For What It's Worth (FWIW), I
Am Not An Acronymologist.  (IANAx)