[Arm-netbook] Any ARM SoC has Open-Source access to hardware video decoder ?

Iain Bullard iain.bullard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:03:34 BST 2012

On 2 July 2012 14:00, lkcl luke <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 5:21 AM, Michael Zucchi <notzed at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/07/12 00:34, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
>>> While I agree that 3D is nice, the use-cases for it are limited.
>>> Much more needed is the VPU stuff (hardware video decoder), more than GPU (3D).
>>> Once any SoC will do VPU, it will become so much more useful...
>>
>> What's this obsession with video decoding?
>
>  given that ARM SoCs are not powerful enough to do this level of
> processing on its own, you can't sell a mass-volume product that
> doesn't have acceleration.
>
>  btw - there are companies in taiwan that use 300mhz MIPS-based CPUs
> with decoders that scream along.  their OS?  GNU/Linux.  have these
> companies taken legal advice on tivoisation? yes.  do they even want
> you to *KNOW* that they are using GPL source code? no.  do they
> consider it a failure that you even find out? yes.
>
>  these products are sold in volumes of hundreds of millions of units.
> they're called TVs.  they run GNU/Linux.  you didn't even know that
> they're running GNU/Linux, and the companies that manufacture the TVs
> *DO NOT WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT*.

You know my LG TV (that I bought a month or so ago) came with a
booklet that contained a list of the free software sources which it
makes use of, the list was quite long and definitely included Linux.

The manufacturers don't sing and dance about it but most people who
buy TV's won't even know what a "linux" is and why it should matter to
them.

As for actually getting access to the source, or what they've done to
it - I've no idea.