[Arm-netbook] Any ARM SoC has Open-Source access to hardware video decoder ?

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 20:28:45 BST 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Alexey Eromenko <al4321 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  but that's not the end of the story: we know full well that such
>> advanced instructions are utterly useless unless they are deeply
>> embedded into the compiler toolchain in an easy-to-use manner that
>> boils down at its crudest to "just hit compile".  that's why they have
>> a compiler expert on board with at least 20 years experience in
>> compiler technology.
>
> NOTE: even on modern CPUs not everything is done automatically via GCC.

 gcc is *not* being used by the icubecorp team.  they are using
open64, which is a VLIW compiler.  open64 has *nothing* to do with gcc
(other than being marginally compatible with most of gcc's compiler
options).  the icubecorp UPU is too complicated to program manually,
and gcc is nowhere near advanced enough.

 i mentioned previously that the only other company i know of to have
successfully created and licensed a VLIW compiler is Tensilica, and
their compiler technology is proprietary.  however it's incredibly
successful, as evidenced by Tensilica's ability to sell over 1.5
billion CPU licenses world-wide.