[Arm-netbook] Any ARM SoC has Open-Source access to hardware video decoder ?

Tsvetan Usunov - OLIMEX Ltd usunov at olimex.com
Sun Jul 1 12:10:18 BST 2012

very interesting similar situation with Nvidia:

they ignore the request to open their drivers nor to provide info which
would help linux community to write these drivers for them, which made
Linus so angry he show them middle finger
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/linus-torvalds-nvidia-linux/

the response of Nvidia was somethig like: we don't care, our Linux sales
are too small to carry about your request for drivers

but now few weeks later I read this:

http://www.ubuntero.com.br/2012/06/nvidia-perde-venda-de-10-milhoes-de-gpus/

so Nvidia lost sales of 10 millions GPUs just because they ignoring Linux
and GPL and their competitor AMD takes advantage by opening their drivers

I guess something like this is going to happen with ARM SoCs too, there
will be company like Freescale or TI which are going to support open source
of their GPUs

the price of the silicon is about same from the different SoC companies, so
who offer better support will get more business