[Arm-netbook] [review] SoC proposal

Iliya Georgiev ikgeorgiev at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 08:51:45 GMT 2012

2012/2/11 lkcl luke <luke.leighton at gmail.com>

> http://www.tensilica.com/uploads/pdf/LX4.pdf - i'm just reading what's
> on page 1, in the bottom left-hand corner.  um... i'm having a bit of
> conceptual difficulty understanding what 100 Giga-MACs is, when
> compared to say... the engines you find in a GPU.
>
> could someone be kind enough to explain it to me, using like...
> y'know, words with only a few syllables, and maybe paint some pretty
> pictures?  i'm trying not to sound flippant but i just can't get my
> head round such monstrously-large numbers.
>
> l.

Hi,
According to my very rough estimation 100 Giga-MACs performance is at least
equivalent to the performance of AMD Radeon HD 6250 GPU. That is the GPU
used in AMD G-Series SoC - the one you have chosen for future EOMA-68 SoCs.
(I suggest you have to ask Xtensa about what stays behind "100 Giga-MACs
performance" - 1-, 2-, 4- or 8-core configuration?)

How is the comparision done? GFLOPS (Giga floating-point operations per
second) is a theoretical measure used in comparisions between
GPUs/CPUs.  AMD Radeon HD 6250 GPU has performance of 45 GFLOPS at maximum
of 400 MHz. In AMD G-Series SoC the GPU even operates at lower speed: 280
MHz.

Giga-MACs to GFLOPS ratio is 2:1 according to this source:
http://electronicdesign.com/article/communications/DSPs-Deliver-Up-To-10-GHz-Throughput-With-Full-Floating-Point-Math.aspx
AMD graphcis cards specifications:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units#IGP_.28HD_6xxx.29

Regards,