[Arm-netbook] Fwd: An open by design laptop

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sun Dec 16 21:30:50 GMT 2012

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 05:00:36PM +0000, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Troy Benjegerdes <hozer at hozed.org> wrote:
> >>  i'd like to get in touch with "bunnie" because as an EOMA-68 project
> >> this is exactly what the arm-netbook list was formed for, originally,
> >> and since then we've negotiated a deal with a company that, if
> >> presented with prototypes, will pay for the hard tooling, pay a
> >> royalty and get it into mass-production.
> >
> > Are you saying that when I produce a prototype for the http://q3u.be/,
> > that this company will build a million of them?
>
>  if it's in a product that has mass-volume appeal i.e. is a TV, a
> laptop, a tablet, a desktop etc. etc. so that the route to customers
> is dead easy, then i'll help put it to them.  we need 5 products
> ("appliances", not "chips") to put to them, in a form which they can
> just drop them straight into mass-production.
>
> the only catch: they will not pay for the cost of the development of
> the prototypes.  but, if you can find a solution for that then
> *great*.
>
>  and yes, i'll prioritise products that have a significant level of
> free software compliance and involvement.

The q3ube is a (roughly) 100mm x 100mm x 60mm debian/ubuntu/android
game console. I have two AMD T40 PicoITX form factor boards on the
way for a prototype, and then I'll need to figure out how to do some
rework to have them get power from 802.3at(POE).

I've also got a MK802 that given how warm the A10 chip feels with
the case off, would probably work better with a slightly smaller
case for what I'm thinking of for the q3ube.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Mini_PC_MK802 )

Anyone want to contribute $10 through http://q3u.be/CSD.html towards
what it will cost me to machine an aluminum case for each of these?
OpenSCAD files will be released under AGPLv3 for anything I manage
to get working.