[Arm-netbook] Release of SoM board KiCAD files with 2x100 pin ARM as a stepping stone

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 12:09:09 GMT 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM, jm <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:

> For the EOMA I also hope to make a single script if its not
> redundant. But so far I haven't come across anyone that is offering up a
> complete working Linux distro with sources and the know how on how
> to make it fully documented from scratch.

 the technically correct, most useful and most minimalist approach is
*not* to create a massive image, but to follow the technique shown by
"debian installer", something like this:

 http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Arm/OtherPlatforms

 you then host an example initrd.gz (something like 5mbyte *not*
1gbyte - not even close) but you do *not* check that in to a repo.  if
you want to build it from scratch, you provide a series of commands to
do that, or just draw the line.

 you then check in the series of commands which performed the
unpacking and re-packing of the initrd.gz, as well as a series of
commands that rebuilt the kernel, all as a shell script, similar to
this:

 http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/hacking_the_mele_a1000/cnx-ubuntu-script/

 or any of the others.

 a debian-installer image is both tiny and also gives the user the
right to install as little or as much as they desire.

 a 1gbyte image is wasteful, difficult to handle, difficult to
maintain, costly to maintain, awkward to use, and either contains too
much or too little once finally installed.  worst of all worlds!

 they do however have their place: in development, a device may not
necessarily have full internet connectivity, so it may be inconvenient
to download from the internet.  but, even here, if you do the debian
installer "ISO-on-usb-stick" image, you can put an ISO (as a file)
onto the same media that the debian installer is on; debian-installer
will hunt for it and loop-back mount it.

 pretty awesome stuff.