[Arm-netbook] FSF-Endorseable Processor

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:26:06 GMT 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Alexey Eromenko <al4321 at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is an Open-Source hardware VP8 decoder, by Google.
> http://www.webmproject.org/hardware/
>
> I believe, It can be integrated into your SoC.
> It can help this project by reducing power usage of playing 1080p
> videos. And also a great marketing gimmick to attract Free Software
> advocates :)
> What do you think ?

 if this was say a single-core MIPS or other processor that *wasn't*
capable of good enough video decode performance (on its own), i would
go "great!  fantastic!  very pleased to hear that you found this"

 the hybrid CPU/GPU is capable of running VP8 in software at good
enough speeds: it doesn't need any video hardware decoder(s).

so, on its own, because it's entirely software-programmable and has
great performance already, that's enough i believe to attract and
interest free software advocates all on its own.

keep it clean, keep it simple.  albeit with a bit of an extra power
draw, but hey.