[Arm-netbook] Video Decoder library license

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Mon Apr 23 16:05:11 BST 2012

mån 2012-04-23 klockan 13:00 +0100 skrev lkcl luke:

>  ah, yes, i'd forgotten about that: "system libraries" are an
> exemption from the GPL's conditions.  this exemption was added because
> many proprietary OSes such as solaris had proprietary libraries,
> proprietary header files, proprietary binaries etc. that were
> essential to the operation of the hardware and could not, obviously,
> be replaced all in one go.

GPLv2 and GPLv3 differ significantly here in what is covered. Imho it
would be quite hard to argue that MALI or the cedar video acceleration
qualify under GPLv2.

Under GPLv3 it may be possible. But I can honestly say that I can not
fully deciper the GPLv3 definition in a sensible form. The borders on
what qualify is very fuzzy, and even fuzzy on which form those are.

> however this has nothing to do with allwinner getting absolutely
> swamped with requests for the right to distribute the
> (un-copyright-noticed, un-licensed) video acceleration code.

Correct.

Regards
Henrik