[Arm-netbook] Request SD card image

Paul Kench paulkench at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 22 07:13:16 BST 2012

From: lkcl luke <luke.leighton at gmail.com>

To: Linux on small ARM machines <arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk>
Sent: Sunday, 22 April 2012, 1:12
Subject: Re: [Arm-netbook] Request SD card image

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Paul Kench <paulkench at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Annoyingly the script2fex thing generates identical files for them both. At
> least it lets me boot my debian image and have a network. X is overrated!

:)

ah... you've got a debian image already?  can you make it available?

l.

I was able to get the original ubuntu card to access wifi but not
ethernet. Apparently the evb.bin (script.bin) which it loads lets X
start but not the ethernet, whereas the "stock" bin lets the ubuntu
image access the ethernet, but crashes when X starts.  (Thanks to Alejandro for the help and pointers).

Also the wifi doesn't work, although it has the same kernel and modules as the ubuntu image.

Here are the components

uboot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1397036/mele/mele_uboot.img

boot partition: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1397036/mele/mele_boot_part.cpio.gz

debian partition: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1397036/mele/mele_debian_armhf_minimal.cpio.gz

To extract a cpio image, mount the destination partition, cd into it: gunzip -c image_file | cpio -i

To use the files, an SD card partitioned like the original SD is required.

First, type 83 (Linux) sectors 2048 - 34815, format it vfat. (Not sure which
of these factors are critical/necessary, I'm just slavishly copying for
now).
Extract the boot partition into it.

Second, type 83 (Linux), size whatever you like, format it ext4.
Extract the debian partition into it.

Unmount your partitions and write the uboot into the SD card: dd if=uboot_image of=/dev/sdx bs=1024 skip=8

The usename is root, and the password is password. The image has ssh
server pre-installed, so anyone who uses is might want want to find the invocation that
 regenerates the ssh keys. The image itself is a wheezy armhf image.

It will be interesting to see if my dropbox public folders get killed with the smaller image and the lack of working X. I will stick it on that ftp server later.