[Arm-netbook] Request SD card image

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Apr 19 13:49:36 BST 2012

cnxsoft wrote:
> On 19/04/2012 19:33, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> Barry Kauler wrote:
>>> Tom,
>>> I have received my A1000, thanks. I have notified aliexpress of the arrival.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if you could upload an image of the Ubuntu SD card.
>>> That would be helpful for me to get up and running quickly, as I want
>>> to do some stuff on the Mele with a running Linux.
>>>
>>> I think that there was an earlier discussion that it is perhaps a bit
>>> too soon to be providing SD images. Even so, from the video of the
>>> Ubuntu installation, it looks usable.
>>>
>>> I realise that it would be large, so a problem to host somewhere.
>> Dropbox public folder? :)
>> A usable rootfs tar ball should only be a couple of hundred MB (apt-get
>> the rest).
>>

> If too many people download his image, his dropbox account might be
> blocked, at least for a while.
> He'd better distribute it as a torrent.

How many people do you actually think would want to download it at this
point? 10? 20? 100? If there were thousands of us messing about with
such things, maybe. But considering I'm using dropbox as a CDN for
images on several of my sites (does miracles for my bandwidth, I only
have 2-and-a-bit Mbits upstream) and have never seen a problem, I'm
inclined to not worry about it too much.

Or you could just sign up for a freebie email account, make a dropbox
account for it and use that, so it doesn't really matter.

Gordan