[Arm-netbook] RedSleeve - New ARM Linux Distro

Vladimir Pantelic vladoman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 11:03:30 BST 2012

Gordan Bobic wrote:

> It is also not even clear that 12.04 is hard-float - both list kernels
> as armv7l, rather than armv7hl. The test where I'd have expected to see
> no difference (gzip compression isn't exactly very FP heavy) has one of
> the biggest differences. So I'm not convinced how relevant the results
> are to a relative performance assessment of SF vs. HF - at a glance it
> seems more plausible the differences come from optimizations in the
> packages themselves and possibly a better compiler toolchain.

most of the soft float vs hard float comparisons "out there" are flawed
because they at the same time compare (ancient) armv5 code with floating
point *emulation* with armv7 code using the VFP and hardfp calling
convention.

comparing *only* soft vs hard calling convention yields much more
reasonable results:

http://markmail.org/message/to7jc6dx2h7tt7ak