[Arm-netbook] Marvell Armada and Other ARM Open hardware Software News

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 22:54:25 BST 2011

bari, hi, thank you for joining.  allow me to pick up on one thing
here - the M3 EC stuff.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:35 AM, Bari Ari <bari at onelabs.com> wrote:

> There is also a new ARM M3 EC (embedded controller) with open firmware
> similar to openEC and EC-1.75 that will tie in closely with coreboot:
> http://www.coreboot.org
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/openec/2011-January/000158.html
>
> EC's are used in notebooks, netbooks and tablets to handle power
> management, backlight, lid open/closed, misc LED's gpio etc. Until now
> the closed BIOS vendors have only supported 8051 EC's. This new 32bit
> 100MHz ARM device supports SPI as well as LPC buses used mainly in x86
> chipsets.

 _wowww_ i just looked these up, and... what do you know about these:
 http://www.st.com/internet/mcu/product/164476.jsp

 and... yaay!
 http://www.hermann-uwe.de/blog/libopenstm32-a-free-software-firmware-library-for-stm32-arm-cortex-m3-microcontrollers

 ok so.... that looks... damn good!  some of them even have DACs,
PWMs, USB, SDIO and so on.  so, not only could it do power management,
gpio and so on, but also it could act as the SD/MMC card reader, the
Mic / Speaker Audio IC,

 so what's the deal with coreboot?  what's the link there?  i'm just
asking, because if the overall design is to use an ARM Cortex A9
embedded CPU as the main processor, and say these STM32s for the I/O
handling, i'm not entiiirely certain where coreboot would come in to
that :)

l.

p.s. just talking on irc to some guy, he has a 72mhz STM32 he's
managed to "overclock" to 128mhz -
http://dekar.wc3edit.net/flexoptix/arm-cortex-m3-OCed.jpg