[Arm-netbook] Allwinner A10 - Expected Tablet Costs and PCIe

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Tue Nov 15 20:28:43 GMT 2011

Hello Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton,

>  it's huge - and ambitious!  would it compete with a standard PC?
> what price-performance or other metric makes it advantageous over
> anything else?

Primary the power consumation.  I use a Marvel 8-Channels SAS/SATA Raid-
Controller with 6 SAS 300 GByte drives  and  the  power  consumation  is
realy great:  ~20-30Watt depending on the HDD activity.

Also it is very flat and modular which  you  can  not  get  with  normal
mainboards.

However, I like to reduce the size to MiniITX which has  the  advantage,
that I can use a 19" 1U Rack with 260mm deepth where the PCB sit in  the
middle and lef/rigt each a 2"5 Dual-SATA/SAS Rack (has  the  size  of  a
Floppy drive).

If I use a 2U Rack, I can hav left and right up to three  2"5  Dual-SATA
Racks and using two PCIe SAS-Controller will give me two Raid-0/1/5.

In both variants, the PCB extender is not neccesary, because  normaly  a
Singel Lane is enough for small servers, except if you  are  Ultra-CRAZY
and put the Drives in Raid-0 which exceeds the performance of 4 GE Nics.

The third scenario is the PanelPC, where the PCB sit in  the  middle  of
the bottom.

However, I have to try out several models...  because I have probably a
space problem with 4 MiniPCIe, 4 Ethernet, Dual-USB and Power connector
on one side.

Note:   I have all Microchips and connectors here ...
        Also the specifications of MiniITX, MiniPCIe, ...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

               Internet Service Provider, Cloud Computing
                <http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>

itsystems at tdnet                     Jabber  linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de
Owner Michelle Konzack

Gewerbe Strasse 3                   Tel office: +49-176-86004575
77694 Kehl                          Tel mobil:  +49-177-9351947
Germany                             Tel mobil:  +33-6-61925193  (France)

USt-ID:  DE 278 049 239