[Arm-netbook] ARM Laptop : 14'' Nufront Newton (was RE: 1ghz ARM Laptop (12in 1280x800 LCD))

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 01:25:04 GMT 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Guillaume FORTAINE <gfortaine at live.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Let me introduce myself : Guillaume FORTAINE, Engineer in Computer Science.

> And, if your are lazy, like me, you will directly buy a 14'' Nufront Newton [4] (Rock Yang, yuxin.yang at nufront.com, VP Marketing) [5].

 guillaume, hi, i just wanted to say thank you for introducing us to
nufront.  just a bit about what we've been able to ascertain:

 * they are a *fabless* semiconductor company, where one of the
founders has worked for ARM, and so they have a good working
relationship with them, especially the Linaro team.  this is a good
sign.

 * they have a number of existing well-established products
(significant wireless experience) so have good and long-established
working relationships with OEMs and ODMs.

 * they are at an early stage, having got at least some samples,
enough to get some demo laptops successfully made.

 * they are getting absolutely _deluged_ with enquiries :)  and,
slightly of concern, a bit overwhelmed.

 * they have Ubuntu and Android ported, and seriously seriously "get"
that they need others to help doing software.

 * they really really "get" the Texas Instruments BeagleBoard /
PandaBoard model.

so, this is a good start - it means however that expecting to get a
Nusmart Laptop next week is, um, impractical :)  but it's a _really_
good start.