[Arm-netbook] 12in laptop story

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Wed Feb 2 15:41:48 GMT 2011

El 31/01/11 23:08, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton escribió:
> oh - one other reason for ruling out "stock" BBxM and pandaboards:
> 512mb RAM, POP.  insanely expensive, difficult to assemble (requires
> plasma tooling) and i don't even wanna think about the cost of a 1gb
> POP RAM chip.

starting a project with an already dying technology (cortex-a8 or
older) is kind of dumb, the market is full of junkbooks and
junkblets which don't meet the "responsiveness" expected by people
these days and can't run modern flash (which is still a critical
tool), so I agree with you that good resolution, 1G of RAM and over
1GHz is minimal requirement.

As Cortex-A9 from TI (and Samsung) seems to not viable for making
any real (but modest) project beside playing with hobbiest devkits
what about making one ${foo}board (3rd efika) in a similar style but
using freescale i.MX6 and instead of focusing in mobiles and small
displays as the pandaboard, focusing in netbooks and nettops (which
is also genesi's target)

Alejandro