[Arm-netbook] EOMA/CF idea

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Fri Dec 30 22:46:22 GMT 2011

On 12/30/2011 04:17 PM, jonsmirl at gmail.com wrote:
> I think we will just see dirt cheap Android pads, which is pretty much
> the same concept but it always includes a screen. You can already get
> Android pads for $79 and prices are still falling. Some are available
> for $49. These pads will be cheap enough in the future to be
> considered disposable.
The cpu modules will also swap into tablets and phones.

> You can build local clouds for these pads with wifi, disk drives and
> something like a Sheevaplug. Or use a public Internet based cloud.
> These local clouds can service many users. You can also build them on
> repurposed desktop machines.
>
> For me, I see the bigger problem is converting 1000s of open source
> apps to run in a cloud model. Hardware is not an issue, it is on a
> curve where the cost of it will be tiny in a few years.

Let see how well Chrome OS does on the market and other "cloud"
services. This was tried before under a different name. The main problem
has been the network. Wireless broadband in the US is still awful
(broadband in most areas is not much better) and there is little
incentive for providers to improve their service. My guess is not so
well unless the pressure from police states encourages/forces consumers
to keep all their data on easy for them to get to places like the
"cloud". Other areas have much better broadband networks but will people
actually want to keep their data on a network mystery drive that they
have to pay for with a subscription model?

As smartphones become the appliance of choice for web browsing and
gaming I can see this being forced on consumers since they tend to lock
them into 2 year subscriptions anyway when they buy their new phones.
What's another $20/mo for cloud services that get you better
games/pron/pics of kittens?

I didn't mean to go on a rant here. This just my opinion but I could be
wrong :)

-Bari