[Arm-netbook] uh-oh....

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Wed Dec 28 21:42:07 GMT 2011

Hello Gordan Bobic,

> Not to answer Michelle's question, but you cannot be serious in asking
> that, right? I believe he mentioned something like 12W with 2 Gbit
> ethernet ports.
>
> For comparison, I have a couple of Atom N450 machines - the best that
> Intel has at the moment when it comes to low-power. They are pulling 22W
> idle, and they trip the 30W PoE Class 4 limit when everything is going
> at full tilt. So we are talking at least 2.5x lower max power usage,
> probably better.

But there are soe things to considder:

For the MV78x00:

1) Two PCIe 4x ports (each can seperately splited into four PCIe 1x) the
   1x does not support the fullspeed (~75%) which could give problems if
   someone want to use USB 3.0. Currently there is no USB 3.0 Controller
   with PCIe 4x available

2) SO-DIMM and direct memory interface
3) NAND and SDXC support  (both bootable)
4) two SATA Ports

5) Two versions of the MV78x00
   a) MV78100      Singel-Core
                   800-1200MHz
                   one 1 Giga Ethernet
   b) MV78200      Dual-Core
                   800-1200MHz
                   two 1 Giga Ethernet

So, if you need a Router or a Server, this machine could  be  a  killer,
because you can attach two 8port SAS Hardware Raid controller to the two
PCIe 4x ports and then attach in total sixteen 2"5 SAS/SATA  drives  and
with two GE interfaces youc an beat any servers from  IBM,  HP,  Compaq,
Sun in price and energy consuming

I have customers which have seen the DevKit in action and the perforance
is several times better then my "AMD Athlon XP 3000+"  with  3 GByte  of
memory and an 3Ware 12ch SAS controller...

I will build the SAS/SATA controller as mPCe card which  mean,  you  can
use the same board as Router with MANY real 10/100/1000 Mbit ports

Want more?  OK, use one SATA port for an DVD-Writer, the second  with  a
2"5 SATA drive.  Then attach to one PCIe 4x port  a  Graphic  controller
and the second PCIe 4x split into four PCIe  1x  and  attach  a  USB 3.0
controller with 2 ports... then there are 3 PCIe 1x left...

I wanr to build an "universal usable mainboard" with  a  Mini-PCI  based
microcontroller module.

The above scenario fit 100% my needs.

However, if you need an OutDoor TabletPC with attahed  Satelit-Modem  in
mPCIe Form Factor os ruch, then the mainboard can be used here too...

But belive it:  it is absolutely not es to get this all running  in  the
same time, even if the microontroller support it.   My brain is smoking!

> Gordan

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

               Internet Service Provider, Cloud Computing
                <http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>

itsystems at tdnet                     Jabber  linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de
Owner Michelle Konzack

Gewerbe Strasse 3                   Tel office: +49-176-86004575
77694 Kehl                          Tel mobil:  +49-177-9351947
Germany                             Tel mobil:  +33-6-61925193  (France)

USt-ID:  DE 278 049 239