[Arm-netbook] uh-oh....

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Dec 28 20:55:30 GMT 2011

On 12/28/2011 08:42 PM, lkcl luke wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Michelle Konzack
> <linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net>  wrote:
>
>> IMHO the Armada/discovery are to much sucking energy for  a  normal-user
>> TabletPC.
>
>   but ok for a server.
>
>   what's the performance-per-watt metrics like?  are they better than
> x86 CPUs, or worse?  if worse, why bother? :)
>
>   ok, a better question is: what makes these better than x86 systems?
> price, performance, power - how do they compare?

Not to answer Michelle's question, but you cannot be serious in asking
that, right? I believe he mentioned something like 12W with 2 Gbit
ethernet ports.

For comparison, I have a couple of Atom N450 machines - the best that
Intel has at the moment when it comes to low-power. They are pulling 22W
idle, and they trip the 30W PoE Class 4 limit when everything is going
at full tilt. So we are talking at least 2.5x lower max power usage,
probably better.

Gordan