[Arm-netbook] Sources for Lychee

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 20:42:06 GMT 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Derek LaHousse <dlahouss at mtu.edu> wrote:
> I walked the menuconfig, for the sun4i build.  This is the list of modules
> which seem to support the allwinner reference board.

 good call.  can you put them on a wiki page please?  mailing lists
are for instantaneous, generally-waffly discussion that is important
at the time but otherwise completely useless otherwise :)  wikis are
for more permanently-relevant info.

 when doing the htc smartphone reverse-engineering we didn't bother
with a mailing list at all: it was entirely on IRC, wiki and an svn
repository, with the IRC backed up and archived kindly by tim rikers.

 for the purposes of ongoing development, greatly appreciated if
people could therefore treat this mailing list as an "offline IRC"
[i.e. completely useless for storage of information :) ]

> On the naming side, could someone clarify the relationships between Softwinner,
> Allwinner, Softwinner University, "the factory we're working with"?  What about
> the name of the architecture vs. the name of the dev board vs. the name of the
> CPU-card?

 allwinner: name of SoC vendor.
 softwinner: no idea!
 factory: merit.  they are RHT's partner.  they have superb hardware
expertise, and absolutely no software expertise.
 architecture: sun4i
 codename: lichee.  this is an internal project name by allwinner.
tom knows the details.
 devboard: unfortunately also named sun4i (whoops), which i'm going to
decide is called "DEVBD" instead.
 cpu-card: hey, good point!  we don't have one! :)

 l.