[Arm-netbook] Planned boot process?

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 08:05:24 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Tom Cubie <tangliang at allwinnertech.com> wrote:

>>   alejandro is already working on it, for you - and for us - and for
>> the community :)
> Great!
>
>>   fantastic.  well, the one thing that's missing is documentation.  if
>> allwinner is willing to provide documentation - *without* requiring an
>> NDA - then i think you will automatically find that there are people
>> willing to work with you.
>
> Yes, i have complained many times that the company doesn't open the chip
> spec, i have asked my workmate why. They said there are something we do
> not want our competitors to know.

 naah it's bullshit.  all that happens is that the very people you
really need to help accelerate the software development, which would
help get more sales of the CPU, you piss them off and they use
somebody else's CPU!

 all the competitors need to do is employ a few good reverse-engineers
and they can find out everything they need to know.  hell, they can
buy a tablet for $100, then enable its JTAG port and poke around and
find _everything_, for goodness sake.

 allwinner has the best price-performance SoC for absolutely miles
around, but it isn't going to stay that way.  in a few months, it's
guaranteed that someone else is going to come along with a 1.6 or 2ghz
Cortex A8 or Cortex A9 for $7, you _know_ that - so why block the
doors?

> And i have complained to my manager,
> if you don't provide documentations, even if others want to help you
> they can't. I will push the company to do open our spec.

 *winks* :)

> Currently we have the reference board, called A10-evb, which we use for
> development, it's about 1500 RMB(with LCD module) for customs.

 really??   i thought it was more than that.  wow, that's very
affordable.  why isn't that more widely promoted? :)

 would anybody be interested (on this list) in buying one?