[Arm-netbook] ARM summit at Plumbers 2011

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 22:25:22 BST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

> On 08/29/2011 05:45 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Gordan Bobic<gordan at bobich.net>  wrote:
>>
>>  The key point isn't the cost, though. The point is that an ARM laptop
>>> can be made thinner, lighter and with much, much better battery life
>>> than an equivalent x86 one.
>>>

>>  people who've opened up toshiba AC100s have found them to be mostly
>> full of air.
>>

> Having two of these and having opened one of them up many times, I can
> assure you this is not the case

 ah - it's good to have some info from someone who's _actually_ done this,
rather than just repeating hearsay.

 9in: the OLPC XO 1.75 hardware team budgeted i believe 1 watt or less (!)

> I'm not sure that is achievable with a TFT screen, even if it is LED
> backlit.

 yeah i couldn't quite understand what they're up to, here, but yes they
quoted under 2 watts for the whole system.  maybe they did something crazed
like run the backlight at half mast... :)