[Arm-netbook] Hanspree Tablet

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Tue Aug 23 15:06:27 BST 2011

On 2011-08-23 11:53 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> it looks like the market's levelling out... already... just as it has
> on x86 laptops and desktops (10-12% margin for *everyone* in the
> chain).  no more 50% to 100% margins.

As a data point, my local dept store had a pallet of 280 Touchpads that
went on sale yesterday at 2pm for $98. They were all gone by just after
3pm, one per customer, with a queue back out onto the street.

And the point? Well priced tablets will sell.

> Hannspree Hannspad Tablet
>
> ARM A9 DC + Tegra II T20 1GHz
> 512MB RAM
> 512MB + 16GB Flash
> 10.1" Touch LED
> Bluetooth
> Android 2.2
> £155 incl VAT

Resolution: 1024 x 600 pixels (117ppi), USB/HDMI/SD, no camera.

£100 BOM?

I've given up on the right ARM netbook. I suspect there are going to
be so many tablets to chose from that a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo
will be far more realistic for the next decade. For an OS I'm inclined
towards OpenWRT with Qt and QML apps borrowed from MeeGo.