[Arm-netbook] xilinx zynq-7000 800mhz ARM Dual-Core Cortex A9

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 13:29:32 BST 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 01:21:07PM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:

> The other thing to consider here is whether we actually need 3D
> acceleration on the ARM GPU at the moment. Sure, it's handy for

+1

> phone/slate gaming, but that's a very limited use case. For server use
> we don't need a GPU at all (serial consile a-la SheevaPlug is
> sufficient), and for 99% of desktop use, you only need simple frame
> buffer, possibly with very basic acceleration just to get the Window
> manager performing well enough for LibreOffice. That covers all normal
> business use.

The trouble is who is the market. For servers - not a problem.
For PC use: myself I have no interest in games, so what you propose
(+ maybe videos) I am happy. However: that is not how things are sold,
the marketing is all about features list - even if people don't use
most of them, even if you try to position it as a lower cost/better battery live/
whatever option.

People expect to pay the price of a mini but get a Rolls Royce.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/