[Arm-netbook] Freescale iMX53 Quick Start board

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 14:39:19 BST 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

>>  question (for everyone): if there existed a board which used a
>> single-core 800mhz Cortex A9, maximum hard limit of 512mb RAM, but
>> also had SATA-II and 10/100 Ethernet, would it be of interest, and
>> how
>> much would you pay for it?  similar spec / design / size / interfaces
>> as the pandaboard, origen etc. just with a single-core Cortex A9
>> rather than dual-core.

>  All that effort just to get native SATA? I really don't think it's
>  worth it.

 it's fitting in with some existing plans that are already underway.
so there's a window of opportunity for free software developers to
take advantage of, that will likely be closed within a few weeks as
they finalise and proceed with their plans.

>  If you really need SATA, then there is this:
>  http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-guruplugdetails.aspx

 512mb RAM (DDR2 800mhz mind you), 1.2ghz Marvell Kirkwood (not Cortex
A9, which was david's question - kirkwoods are pretty damn good
though, having an ARM "compatible" instruction set and had superscalar
out-of-order execution well before Cortex A9s ever had it).

 eSATA-II, 3gb/sec and _two_ gigabit ethernets, no less.  whoopee-doo.
 ahh, are these the little boxes that massively overheat if you start
using them for anything beyond a toy, by chance? :)

 so, there you go, david - get one of those and a fire extinguisher :)