[Arm-netbook] My framebuffer and X.org piss me off

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 30 20:56:13 BST 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net> wrote:

> I can use only "vesafb"

 ok.  so i take it that there's a PCI bus or something, then a
graphics chip that's VESA compatible?  if so, it should be dead
easy...

 ok, reading Documentation/svga.txt which is very unclear: have you
tried kernel config "vga=ask", then typing "scan" to see what modes
are supported?

 then, documentation/fb/vesafb.txt says that you have to compile in
both vgacon and vesafb in NOT as modules.

 then, according to the table, 0x31B is 1280x1024 @ 16M so you should
put "vga=795" on the kernel config.

 _but_ best to check first with "vga=ask" and then "scan" that will
show you what is possible

 also consider "apt-get install read-edid" then find out what is
supported, you can read the VESA modes using read-edid

 also look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see what it says it thinks is
going on, too, it is always instructive to see compatibility between
monitor and graphics.

 i never use fbdev xorg unless absolutely absolutely forced to.  if
there is a graphics chip which does vesa, i recommend you try the
xserver-xorg vesa driver, not fbdev xorg, even just for testing: it
will at least tell you more of what is going on.

 do not try vesa xorg driver at same time as running kernel
framebuffer, things get very odd: use text mode.