[Arm-netbook] Fwd: bug on emdebian apt-get upgrade (install-info error)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 30 17:48:08 BST 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Frans Pop <elendil at planet.nl> wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 March 2010, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> hi folks, this from neil williams, if anyone's going to try
>> debian-installer soon could they add emdebian.org lenny to
>> /etc/apt/sources.list and then do "apt-get upgrade" and then see if
>> grip-config is listed to be installed, as neil shows?
>
> Ehhh. there seems to be some major misunderstanding here.

 yes.  cleared it up, now.

 in between the debian-installer lenny bit and the editing of
/etc/apt/sources.list to add emdebian grip, neil says that it is
essential to do this:

 sh-3.2# wget http://www.emdebian.org/d-i/grip-config.deb
sh-3.2# dpkg --unpack grip-config.deb

> >From his comments about "debian-installer preseeding" Neil apparently
> thinks that we're using some version of the installer customized for
> emdebian. We are *not*.
>
> What you did was installing plain Lenny using a regular mirror and then
> upgrading *the installed system* to grip.

 yes.  that's not the "standard" way - you're supposed to use
pre-seeding during the debian-installer "lenny" bit which adds to the
/etc/apt/sources.list automatically (i've done this before with phil
hands) _but_ during the middle of it, you do that grip-config.deb
unpack.

... sounds to me like this needs to be a debian-installer postinst recipe.