[Arm-netbook] Debian Installer fully functional for ChiTech PC89E

Frans Pop elendil at planet.nl
Tue Mar 30 15:52:06 BST 2010

On Tuesday 23 March 2010, Frans Pop wrote:
> The moment you've all been waiting for: installing Debian Squeeze using
> Debian Installer is, with a few limitations, as easy as installing
> Debian on any other system.

There's now also a graphical version of the installer!

Just use the root.img from the 'gtk' subdirectory instead of the one in the
debian-installer directory itself [1].

This is something of a "first" as until now we've never had the graphical
installer working really well on other architectures than i386 and amd64.
The graphical installer recently switched from using DirectFB to using
X.Org as backend. This was expected to make porting easier and that has
now been proven :-)

Note that the functionality of the regular and graphical installer are 100%
identical. They only look different.

See also my blog post about this [2].

Cheers,
FJP