[Arm-netbook] proposal for GNU Netbook project

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Fri Mar 26 16:03:24 GMT 2010

Hello Luke,

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Michelle Konzack
> <linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
>
> > Maybe we should REALY design a simpe Netbook our own
>
>  yes - i have contacted richard stallman to see if it could be listed
> as a GNU Project.  he said that as long as it passes the GNU Project
> criteria, then yes.  however he did point out that normally there has
> to be something to review, in order for it to become a gnu project,
> and unless the hardware _exists_, it can't be matched against the
> criteria! :)  but i am sure we will work it out.
>
>  the reason for doing that - listing it as a GNU project - is to get
> some PR.  the point is that we need to reach "critical mass" of at
> least 1,000 to 10,000 units, with at least 60% preorders.

I know...  There are sme peoples interested in a  much  faster  Netbook,
e.g. Marvel Amada 300 (1600-2000 MHz), but no one is willing to  sponsor
the development...  :-/

>  basically i'd like to follow in the footsteps of the success of the
> openpandora project.
>
> > lieke the one from
> >
> >    <http://www.touchkit.com/>
>
>  is this the one that was $48 for a motherboard "shell" ?

Unfortunately not but I was thinkingin a similar design, because I  have
gotten to plastic cases where my 8" TFT fits and used ond  for  the  PCB
and Keyboard and the second for the TFT.  Looks alittle bit curoious but
it works.

> > I have contacted <http://www.AdoptSMT.at/> for used  machines  (Printer,
> > Placer and Reflow) and a second german enterprise which  sells  machines
> > to manufacturer the PCB.
>  _excellent_.

While the three machines (Printer, Placer and Reflow) cost  new  arround
286.000 Euro, used ones are available for less then 100.000 Euro.

So, starting with used machines could work very well.

>  ... do remember however that a production run of say only 1,000 units
> means that the total money for the materials will be only around
> $100,000 - that's all!  so if there are costs of even $20,000 that
> adds 20% to the price!!  but, if it's 10,000 units then that's much
> much better ($1m): $20,000 is only 2% on the price.

Who do you tell this?  I have a bunch of projects where I  need  between
20-50.000 pcs which I can not manufacturer in on time...  A small system
which is suitable for Mini-Series is exactly what I need.

I can manufactuer 500-1000 pcs at once before I run out of money.

And while I sell my own products, I have another projects...

And then an other question is, in which  timeframe  can  you  distribute
10.000 OLPC Netbooks?  I dubt that you can distribute it faster  then  I
can produce it.

Oh, I have gotten yesterday an offer for a commercial object of  arround
1200 sqare meter including a working hall and some offices...

But it is in Rosenheim/Bayern/Germany...

> > Now I need an enterprise which sell used mulding machines...
>  don't consider repraps - you spend too much time modifying and repairing them.

I have already worked at "Bopla" and it depends...

> > Then I have only to design the PCB, the case and I  now  MANY  cool  :-D
> > Linux Developer which take over the rest...
>  :)

I know some enterprises which do this...

> > No dependance on flaky chinese manufacturers.  --  I realy have enough!
> >
> > If you have no one in China, which kick them into there ass, nothing  is
> > working as expected.
>
>  ... or you have something they can copy.

Right.  :-/

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strasbourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193