[Arm-netbook] Booting from SD card with switch on so-dimm in other direction ...

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 23 13:26:04 GMT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<luke.leighton at googlemail.com> wrote:
> argh argh my tiny brain can't handle the maths on this one, working
> out from the "old" partition what is supposed to be done unless you
> have a 2gb SD card.
>
> erm erm erm...

 ok these are the fdisk commands.

 on any linux system, insert 2gb SD card, check where it got mounted
(/dev/sda, /dev/sdb or /dev/mmcblk0) do this:

 fdisk /dev/{whatever}

then type these (return after each, blank line indicates press return as well)

1
2
3
3

+1400M
2

+480M
1

you must have _exactly_ a 2gb SD card for this to work.  this will
create three partitions, in _reverse_ order, the last will be in
exactly the right place and exactly the right size so that _this_
file, when uncompressed, can be shoved directly onto partition 1 (at
the end):

http://lkcl.net/arm_systems/CT-PC89E/mmcblk0p1.bz2

you will do that with:

$ bunzip2 mmcblk0p1
$ dd if=./mmcblk0p1 of=/dev/{partition 1 of sd card} bs=512

 so if from above you are using /dev/sda then that's dd if=./mmcblk0p1
of=/dev/sda1 but if your SD card is mounted as /dev/mmcblk0 then it's
of=/dev/mmcblk0p1