[Arm-netbook] alternative SO-DIMMS

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Fri Mar 5 20:39:19 GMT 2010

Hello Luke,

Am 2010-03-05 19:46:07, schrieb Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
>  michelle, i've been meaning to ask you: if i can get the pin-outs and
> specs, would you be interested to do any of these as 200-pin SO-DIMMs
> (30mm x 70mm)?

In theorie yes.

>  a drop-in replacement as shown here:
> http://lkcl.net/arm_systems/CT-PC89E/photos/IMG_3142.jpg

Cool...

I was on "Karo" and thy have i.MX51, and Kirkwood on such Modules but it
is no real pleasure, because each enterprise change the pinlayout,  EVEN
if it could be standardised

I am ongoing to save money to order the Kirkwood  SO-Dimm  (99 Euro)  to
work me into this High-Performance Microcontroller.

>  especially if some of the SO-DIMMs had e.g. PCI-e or SATA connectors
> i think that would be a veeery interesting way to turn a low-cost
> netbook into a much more powerful machine.

The probem is, that you can not excangen a Samsung with a  Freescale  or
Marvell.  :-(

So, you have to build for each PCB manufacturer there own SO-Dimm module
which is realy sick.  Not even Freescales i.MX SO-Dimm modules have  the
same layout.  Otherwise I would have used them for one year already.

There are some reference designs laying arround.

Currently I try to get from all  interesting  ARM  microcontrollers  the
specs and reference designs, gerber files and whatelse because one of my
ideas is, to build SO-Dimm modules with  different  microcontollers  but
the same layout on the SO-Dimm pins.

Then in effect it dose not more mather HOW I desing my TablePC,  PanelPC
or a NetBook.  I can scale the performance of onDevice HOW I like.

OR, (better for pubicity) he CUSTOMER cn choose  a  computer  design  of
choice and put into whatever Microcontroller performance  s/he  want  to
have.

With the currently availlable SO-Dimm it is not possibel.

This mean, I have to buy from any intersting microcontroller an EVKit to
try it out and then re-build the SO-Dimm to our needs.

Do you have the schematics (reference design) for the SO-Dimm module?
The pinlayout does currently not mather.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193