[Arm-netbook] welcomes to arm-netbook list

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Fri Mar 5 20:19:00 GMT 2010

Hello,

Am 2010-03-05 19:49:00, schrieb Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
>  is it a 10in or an 8.9in format?  the 8.9in seems to be going out of
> fashion.  the 10.1in now that _would_ be interesting.

I have the first generation...  :-/

I know a couple of chinese manufacturers with very nice cases....

As Luke has writen in a private mail tome for some weeks, it could be  a
very interesting thing, to cooperate with 1-3 manufactures which produce
a Netbook with my or own design and functionality...

Most of the PCBs have enoughplace to support a "Marvel Armada 300"  with
HSDPA, GPS, Compas, Bluetooth, Wifi and more.

It is ony a question of the price and the the expected standby  time  of
the batterie.

Such Killer-Netbook PCB would cost as a prototype arround  2500 Euro  in
material (chips, PCB, soldering, ...) plus my work-time.

I have found space saving 32 bit DDR2 and DDR3 memory as POP with  1,  2
and 4 GBit...  unfortunately they are military grade and very costly.

When I saw the announcement in the EDN, I was dreaming from a SBC in the
size of a cellphone but with the power of a normal PC...  :-D

1 Armada 300 (2000MHz)
2 DDR3 POP Memory 4 Gbit
1 Micron Nand Flash 64 Gbit
1 PMIC

:-D  --  The size of this SBC would be arround 45x75mm

But if you know the price of memory chips as samples...  :-(

Hey and Micron announced the NAND Flash, but they are stil not available
and it is always the same problem:

   First they make you hot <grmpf>, then they kick you <double-grmpf>
   into the Six-Star Frigo and let you wait for the next 6-12 month.

>  ... and they've saved on cost by _not_ providing enough cooling.  the
> dual-core intel atom systems are particularly bad.

ACK

>  5% failure rate within one year.

For my "TablePCs" I want les then 0.5% per year because  they  are   not
realy designed as inexpensive consumer stuff...  It shuld have at  least
lower industrial grade.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193