[Arm-netbook] First stab at a custom kernel

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Fri Mar 5 19:11:42 GMT 2010

Hello *,

for some seconds Luke has approved my subscribtion to the list and now I
jump into this thread and...

Am 2010-03-05 15:46:36, schrieb Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
>  he he - slightly ahead of you, there :)  you'll see the message soon.
>  the kernel source with the "right" s3c lcd driver is the 2.6.24.7
> stuff on which the smartq5 MID is based.  but, even there, the
> initialisation sequences for the 6 LCD panels i see in the code are
> utterly device-specific (some involving what looks like I2C / SPI
> register sequences).

...like to know what are you talking about SPI and I²C?

The only SPI stuff am aware of is the Epson S1D13781 stuff.  :-D

Does this mean, the manufacturers use the last crap and let  programmers
get headache with it?

>  perhaps by finding another device which has the same B089AW01... oh loook!
>  http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2010/01/msg00148.html
>  ha ha this was exactly the high-quality industrial-grade item we
> talked about with michelle :)

I use only approves High-Quality TFT Displays from 4"-10"4 (Fromike)  to
19" (G-Series from AU Optronics) and ALL coming with TouchScreen.

Attached to the Microcontrollers:

1)  Atmel      AT91SAM9263      Works perfectly with EmDebian but has
                                not enough power for me and for my
                                project I need two or more CAN 2.0 Ports

2)  NXP         LPC2478         Working on and it works with EmDebian
                                but require Vanila Kernel to solv
                                headache

3)  NXP         LPC3230         My next Project

4)  TI          Sitara AM3517   I am working on the PCB Design for a low
                                cost "TablePC 1"

5)  TI          OMAP 3530       My PMIC TPS650731 is now backordered for
                                2 month; Argh!!! -- why ME???) This will
                                be"TablePC 2" with attached Image Sensor
                                plus options for a million Add-Ons  like
                                Compass, 3axis Acelerometer, GPS, HSDPA,
                                Wifi and other blah blah  no  one  would
                                attach to an ARM :-P

                                WHY THEY DO NOT? - Because peoples would
                                them call braindamaged!

6)  Marvel    Kirkwood 88F6281  "TablePC 3" like "TablePC 2"  but  in  a
                                Killer Version

7)  Marvel    Kirkwood 88F6281  "PanelPC 1" with AUO 19" TFT Display
                                maybe optional a TouchScreen

8)  Marvel      Armada 300      "PanelPC 2" like "PanelPC 1" with AUO 19
                                TFT Display WITH TouchScreen

9)  Marvel      Armada 300      "PanelPC 3" like "PanelPC 2" but build
                                as LAB-PC with free accesible hotplagble
                                Extension Slots.

So for the Projects 4) to 9) I am searching for more infos before I jump
deeper into this projects, because the required parts do  not  exist  as
"Feee Samples" (I have tonns of microchips for free)  and  cost  arround
4000 Euro and manufacturing of prototype  PCBs  is  in  this  case  VERY
expensive du to its size and 8 Layers.

And du to a personal problem with two of my servers (NEC MH4500R) I like
to jump into the

10) Marvel      MV78200         Low-Power Server with Port-Multiplier on
                                the SATA interface plus two PCIe 4x SAS/
                                SATA Raid Controller like the  one  from
                                Marvel but need FREE drivers.

                                So, if someone kow a  PCIe  4x  SAS/SATA
                                Controller chip manufacturer please  let
                                me know.

>  anyway, yes: perhaps by finding another device which has the same LCD
> (preferably another ARM device, even better a samsung S3C one) it
> would be possible to crib the initialisation sequence.  _but_, there
> is still likely to be some guess-work involved.

:-D

So, now it is enough, I have enough sülzed for my introduction...  :-D

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193