[Arm-netbook] First stab at a custom kernel

Frans Pop elendil at planet.nl
Wed Mar 3 16:12:15 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Frans Pop <elendil at planet.nl> wrote:
>  frans... think about it: if the kernel you replace with is
> non-successful, how are you going to get access to the NAND flash, in
> order to put on the former kernel? :)

What exactly are you saying? That replacing the kernel on mmcblk0p1 is not
enough? That an additional NAND flash is needed? That is something I've
wondered about, but it's a bit outside my technical experience.

I've been assuming so far that when u-boot is doing inand or movi stuff,
it's simply reading and writing from/to mmcblk0p1.

As for your concern. The ChiTech boot process should AFAICT be independent
of what kernel is currently in mmcblk0p1. As long as I make sure the
region where u-boot is located is left untouched, recovery using the
Chitech boot process should still work, simply because that boot process
takes place _before_ the kernel is loaded.

And I do intend to make damn sure of that :-)