[Arm-netbook] [Semi-OT] TI OMAP L138 as Mini-Server

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Tue Jul 20 15:48:45 BST 2010

Hello *,

is this List alive or was I unsubscribed?

I have gotten an expensive Development Kit for the OMAP L137 and ongoing
to do some experiements...

What I like to do is:

Rack:
1)  use a 19" 3U standard Rack
2)  use standard Euro-Card size of 100x160mm
3)  use 4 PartUnits (= 20mm) per MCU-Slot which makes 21 Slots total
4)  put the Ethernet and the Switch onto the Backplane directly
5)  put USB 2.0 on the Backplane and use 4-Port High-Speed Switches
    us one 7port Swicht to allow only ONE maintenace connectivity
    to JTAG/UART through a FTDI FT2232 (on each MCU-Card)
6)  Hardware Reset connector n backplane using I²C from Remote Console

MCU-Card 1:
1)  Texas Instruments OMAP L138
2)  4x Micron MT47H128M16 (16M x 16 x 8)
    this where the biggest I have found otherwise I would run into
    space problems
3)  Micron NAND Flash 64-128 MByte with EmDebian
    as Rescue and Maintenance System
4)  1 SATA drive holder On-Board.
5)  Mini-USB with USB-Switch (Backplane/Front)
6)  Operating Voltage 9-12V
7)  Hardware-Watchdog
8)  Reset connector on Backplane from Remote Console

PSU:
1)  Input Voltage 24V DC
2)  Max 12A

Remote-Console:
1)  Atmel AT91SAM9263
2)  DDR 32MByte
3)  Micron NAND Flash 64-128 MByte with EmDebian
4)  Web-Based?

What Du you think about it?

Before I go on and design die PCB I need more ideas and what else

And last but not last, I have the idea to build additional a

MCU-Card 2:
1)  Marvel Kirkwood 88F6281
2)  8x Micron MT47H128M16 (16M x 16 x 8)
3)  Micron NAND Flash 64-128 MByte with EmDebian
    as Rescue and Maintenance System
4)  2 SATA drive holder On-Board.
5)  Mini-USB with USB-Switch (Backplane/Front)
6)  Operating Voltage 9-12V
7)  Hardware-Watchdog
8)  Reset connector on Backplane from Remote Console

Currently I am testing the L138 as PostgreSQL server and it is a  little
Killer-Machine even if it ihas only 300MHz and 256 MByte off mDDR.   Now
combinate 16 of them to a cluster and use the 88F6181 as pgSQL Master...

Its my mini cloud... :-D

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

--
         Development and Production of Low-Energie Electronics,
            Computer Hardware and Solar/Wind-Energie Systems

electronica at tdnet France EURL          electronica at tdnet UG (lim. liab.)
Owner Michelle Konzack                 Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz                      Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France                77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil              Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.electronica.tamay-dogan.net/>    <http://www.can4linux.org/>
<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>            <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>

Jabber electronica at jabber.ccc.de