[Arm-netbook] Mailing list - (Was: CT-PC89E's file listing)

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 17 21:13:02 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 06:00:17PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 06:37:41PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
>
> > > fine with me, but is this a really a debian project?
> >
> > The teams.d.net lists were set up as a semi-official service for Debian
> > related mailing lists that don't warrant a mailing list on lists.d.org. It
> > is (was?) run by DDs at a location that also hosts other Debian services.
> >
> > I've sent a mail to d-project to enquire about its status.
> >
> > Another alternative would be to request an alioth project (which does allow
> > separate subscription to projects and their mailing lists).
>
> I am going to start to talk about putting centos on these things ... are they going
> to be happy with that ?
>
> --
> Alain Williams
> Linux/GNU Consultant - Mail systems, Web sites, Networking, Programmer, IT Lecturer.
> +44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
> Parliament Hill Computers Ltd. Registration Information: http://www.phcomp.co.uk/contact.php
> Past chairman of UKUUG: http://www.ukuug.org/
> #include <std_disclaimer.h>

Unless you're prepared for extreme pain - don't even think about it :(

CentOS don't have an ARM port because Red Hat don't. Fedora has a very
unofficial ARM port - though this may buck up slightly if Fedora forms
the basis for the new MeeGo from Nokia and Intel.

Fedora has almost no experienced ARM developers: the Ubuntu ARM
developers are (primarily) relying on Debian expertise to build packages
that run on ARM and then repackaging slightly. Nokia had (past tense
now) Maemo as an ARM-based in-house fork of Debian.

The only game in town if you want any packages is Debian based. Building
Fedora packages on CentOS / Red Hat is an ugly hack in the extreme.
Attempting to port CentOS (for Red Hat compatibility) building on a
Fedora foundation is uglier still.

I'll hazard a guess that mid-fun's distro is Debian based - if only
because the uid's start at 1000 in Debian and at 500 in Red Hat if I
recall correctly.

Just my 0.02c HK

All the best,

AndyC