[Arm-netbook] First impressions

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 16 19:15:16 GMT 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Jon Ervine <jon.ervine at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://uk.sisoe.com/~jonnye/linux/IMG_3140.jpg
>
> My camera ran out of power and the images are a little blurred at full zoom - I'll reshoot tomorrow with tripod for sharp pictures if that's of interest.
> http://uk.sisoe.com/~jonnye/linux/IMG_3141_marked.jpg

 wooow - _two_ PCI-e slots!  one for the 802.11 WIFI and one for the
3G modem.  i'm impressed.

> It seems the ARM processor, RAM, and NAND is contained on the removable 'DIMM type' card in the centre of the mainboard.

 ahhh, that's how they can do "upgrades".  that is faantastic.  why?
because it means that with a little bit of knowledge it will be
possible to do a samsung ARM Cortex A8 833mhz S5PC100 "upgrade".

 i get more impressed with this design the more i learn about it.

 the nice thing about the possibility of doing an S5PC100 upgrade is
that the schematics for the odroid (samsung's developer platform) are
fully published.

 and, because it takes DDR2 RAM, such a system would be _cheaper_ than
the 6410-based system.