[Arm-netbook] SATA and IDE memory-addressable ICs

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Sun Apr 4 22:56:08 BST 2010

Hello Luke,

> michelle, hi,
>
> do you know of any SATA or IDE chips which are memory-addressable with
> that 16-bit "shared-data/address" bus?  i _hope_ it is called "general
> purpose memory bus".

You want to map it into a free Data/Adressspace of  an  ARM  controllers
external memory?  No, not currently.  Only PCI/PCIe based ones.

I would go with a USB version of this controller,  OK, I  know  this  is
double work, but there are USB Host Controllers which can be maped  into
the memory space and then you can use any USB/SATA controllers you like.

> and, if so, do you what are sample pricing, 1k and 5k volume prices?
>
> some people on the gpx forums are asking about SATA controllers, and
> i'm building up the survey and i want to include it as a price option
> for people.

I had several times the need for an ATAPI/ATA/SATA  controller  but  not
found one.

Generaly the ATAPI Protocoll is not very difficult and  can  implemented
in a 75MHz 8051 Flash controller with less then 32 kByte of Flash memory

The Maxim DS80C411 would work with it.

If someone is willing to implement the software, I could do the rest and
programming can be done In-House by the Chip-Manufacturer Maxim.

Oh, before I forget:  I have the source code for  8051  microcontrollers
(AN282) and USB mass-storage.  Since ist use a SiLabs C8051F340  with  a
SD, MMC and CF card, this code could be used for a ATA/ATAPI drive.

CF-Cards are ATAPI compatibel...

Maybethis woud work less expensive for us then looking for a dedicated
SATA/ATAPI controller which are mostly rather expensive mean 7+ US$.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strasbourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193