[Arm-netbook] MNT Reform Campaign

Christopher Havel laserhawk64 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 00:20:37 BST 2020

Forgive me for asking, because I didn't quite pass the requisite fervency
test to be enrolled in the Joint OSHW-F|L|OSS Technical Militia ( :P ), but
remind me, please, of a couple things, if I may ask them...?

(1) Why are there none of these OSHW devices using existing x86-compatible
CPUs/SoCs?

(2a) Are there any meaningful barriers to creating an OSHW-compatible x86
CPU/SoC, independent of major chip houses (Intel, AMD) or established niche
players (VIA, etc)?

(2b) I've heard noises of a homegrown sort of effort out of China, from a
company and fab house over there... could that CPU be considered as an
acceptable candidate for such an effirt, and if not, why...? (I assume not,
and because "China!", but I'm wide open here.)