[Arm-netbook] 2.7.4 preproduction sample, 1.7 MD, Questions

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Jul 19 17:05:37 BST 2020

On Sunday, 19 July 2020 17:32:41 CEST Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Sunday, July 19, 2020, Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> >
> > debian does have an archive site somewhere where they keep totally
> > obsolete and discontinued distributions.
>
> http://archive.debian.org is supposed to be that location.
>
> however the pool directory does not contain gcc cross compilers.

Cross-compilers are relatively new in Debian as broadly supported things
(ignoring things like Atmel cross-compilers and one-off attempts at providing
toolchains for some release architectures). I think that they first made it
into the distribution properly for Stretch, meaning that we're only on the
second release that has them.

Also, older packages probably have all sorts of dependencies on older
distribution versions, and with that there's the need to virtualise or chroot
entire software distributions. And then, it might turn out that the precise
configuration of the compilers isn't entirely suitable, as I have discovered
for various SoCs in the past [*].

Paul

[*] However, that was actually related to soft-float support for MIPS, which
needs to be configured at build-time for GCC, but which was omitted from the
Debian toolchains because the assumption is that all the code compiled by the
Debian compiler will be deployed on Linux, and Linux has run-time support for
floating point instruction emulation (that a bare metal or alternative
environment might not have). But in general, you cannot be too careful with
some of this stuff, and not all shortcuts turn out to be what they seemed to
be.